SylvaC was a trade name of Shaw and Copestake, a company formed by Mr. William Shaw and a Mr. Copestake, at the turn of the 19th – 20th centuries. Mr. Copestake sold his shares to Mr. Richard Hull after about six months of business and this partnership continued until Mr. Hull’s death in 1935. He was succeeded by his son, Mr. Richard Hull junior. In the following year, the business became a limited company. In 1938, Mr. Richard Hull and Mr. E. J. Dennis acquired Thomas Lawrence (Longton) Ltd, Falcon Pottery, Waterloo Street, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Richard Hull junior having married the great-niece of the founder. In 1955, after the constraints of the Second World War, the two works were combined on new premises, and this was the beginning of not only a vast change in production techniques, but also changes in the marketing of the products. Initially the company was very successful, products having been sent worldwide with 30% of production going abroad. Unfortunately, during the 1970s, there was a steady decline in output, due to the recession and Far Eastern competition, and in May 1982 the company went into voluntary liquidation.