About Govancroft Potteries
Govancroft Potteries Ltd were sited on London Road in Tollcross, Glasgow until about 1981. These works started in 1911 and produced stoneware and 'jolleyed' ware for ginger beer, jam, ink and stout, as well as wares for the chemical industry.
After the Second World war a new tunnel kiln was installed which led to production being concentrated on jugs for the whisky industry - latterly including nearby Long John. A fire in 1954 destroyed most of the potteries, but it eventually revived.